Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This casserole can be made ahead and frozen. If you assemble a casserole ahead of time and freeze, be sure to allow it to thaw in the refrigerator (it will take about 24 hours) before cooking.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 (3 7/8 ounce) cansliced black olives, drained
- 1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced Italian tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 lb fusilli, cooked
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, grated and divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; lightly grease a 4-quart casserole dish.
- In medium skillet over medium-low heat, cook sausage until well done.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and shallots, and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add mushrooms and black olives and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce and eggs.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, salt, basil, oregano and Italian seasoning.
- Layer half of pasta, half of mushroom mixture, half of sauce mixture and half of cheese into prepared casserole dish.
- Repeat layers, ending with cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
While wintering on a snow top mountain, I attempted this recipe. Absolutely wonderful!!!! It does make a large dish. I halved the recipe and it turned out spectacular. It is my "go to" dish when wanting to impress and please guest.