Recipe by Lainey39
This casserole can be made ahead and frozen. If you assemble a casserole ahead of time and freeze, be sure to allow it to thaw in the refrigerator (it will take about 24 hours) before cooking.
Top Review by Sandi H.
While wintering on a snow top mountain, I attempted this recipe. Absolutely wonderful!!!! It does make a large dish. I halved the recipe and it turned out spectacular. It is my "go to" dish when wanting to impress and please guest.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 (3 7/8 ounce) cansliced black olives, drained
- 1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced Italian tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 lb fusilli, cooked
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, grated and divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; lightly grease a 4-quart casserole dish.
- In medium skillet over medium-low heat, cook sausage until well done.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and shallots, and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add mushrooms and black olives and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce and eggs.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, salt, basil, oregano and Italian seasoning.
- Layer half of pasta, half of mushroom mixture, half of sauce mixture and half of cheese into prepared casserole dish.
- Repeat layers, ending with cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.