1/2 Photos of Paula Deen's Baked Beef Enchilada Casserole
I got this recipe from Paula Deen's magazine and recently got the chance to try it. It is delicious; you can't go wrong with Paula IMO. This can be assembled and frozen ahead. When you are ready to serve, allow to thaw in the refrigerator and then cook as directed. I omit the refried beans for personal preference.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans creamy chicken verde soup
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1 1/2 dozen corn tortillas, divided (I prefer flour tortillas)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans red enchilada sauce, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 4 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- black olives, sliced (optional)
- red pepper, curls (optional)
- green pepper, curls (optional)
- yellow pepper, curls (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- 3In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- 4Cook onion and garlic about 5 minutes, or until tender.
- 5Add ground beef, chili powder, salt and red pepper.
- 6Cook until beef is brown and crumbly; drain.
- 7Stir in soup and green chiles; set aside.
- 8Line prepared baking dish with 6 corn tortillas.
- 9In a medium bowl, whisk together one can of enchilada sauce and refried beans (I omit the beans).
- 10Spread bean mixture onto tortillas.
- 11Evenly sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
- 12Layer 6 more tortillas.
- 13Cover with meat mixture.
- 14Evenly sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
- 15Layer remaining 6 tortillas.
- 16Evenly spoon remaining can of enchilada sauce onto tortillas.
- 17Sprinkle with remaining 2 cups cheese.
- 18Bake for 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- 19Garnish with sliced black olives and bell pepper curls, if desired.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paula Deen's Baked Beef Enchilada Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 766.0
- Calories from Fat 370
- Total Fat 41.2 g
- Saturated Fat 21.9 g
- Cholesterol 128.6 mg
- Sodium 2139.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.2 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 43.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
creamy chicken verde soup