1/1 Photo of Paula Deen's Applesauce Cake
I needed to use up some applesauce so I tried this recipe from Christmas with Paula Deen. I did sift my ingredients, but I didn't grate my own fresh nutmeg (there's a kitchen gadget to put on my list). I used real butter instead of shortening. The house smells delicious, and this is great with vanilla ice cream!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Grease a 13x9x2" baking pan.
- 3Cream together the granulated sugar and shortening until fluffy using an electric mixer.
- 4Add the eggs one at a time, beating well.
- 5In another bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt.
- 6Stir the raisins and nuts into the flour mixture.
- 7Add the flour mixture and applesauce alternately to the creamed mixture, beginning and ending with the flour.
- 8Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- 9Bake for 45 minutes or until the center of the cake is firm to the touch.
- 10Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paula Deen's Applesauce Cake
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.6
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 23.2 mg
- Sodium 208.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 19.7 g
- Protein 4.2 g