Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I saw Paula make this on her episode entitled "Apple a Day".
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon or 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 2 -3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, halved, and thinly sliced (about 1 pound)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup crushed shortbread cookie
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 5 sheets phyllo dough, from 1 pound package of frozen dough
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, for brushing phyllo sheets, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- confectioners' sugar
- caramel sauce, purchased
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- For the Strudel:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, pour the bourbon or apple juice over the raisins and microwave on high for 45 seconds.
- Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Combine the raisins, apples, lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon, brown sugar, cookie crumbs, pecans, and butter in a large bowl.
- Remove the phyllo dough from the box, unfold, and cover with a damp towel.
- Place 1 sheet of phyllo on the work surface and brush lightly with melted butter.
- Repeat with the remaining sheets, brushing each with melted butter, stacking when done, being sure to keep the unbuttered phyllo covered.
- Place the apple mixture on the nearest third of the phyllo stack, being sure to leave a 2-inch border.
- Gently lift the bottom edge of the phyllo stack to cover the filling and fold the side edges over.
- Continue to roll the stack away from you until the filling is completely sealed in and the seam is on the bottom.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the top with melted butter and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Pour over the glaze and sprinkle with cinnamon and confectioners' sugar.
- Pass warm caramel sauce, to drizzle over the strudel.
- For the Glaze:
- Mix ingredients thoroughly.
- *Cook's Note: If too thick add a little bit of milk.
- If too thin add a little bit of confectioners' sugar.
Scrumptious! Lot going on in this strudel with rum raisins, apple, shortbread cookies, pecan, lemon and cinnamon, all wrapped in phyllo crust. Caramel topping would probably have been too much for us, left it out. Also halved the icing, still plenty sweetness.
This was very very yummy and fairly easy to assemble. The slicing went quickly with my mandoline slicer. Only problem I had was alot of the juices/brown sugar leaked out. We just scooped it out of the pan and put on top of the slices when serving. Thanks for posting!