Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is a method of cooking a standing rib roast that never fails. Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. The seasoning you choose is up to you. I did not include seasoning time in prep time. Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
- Combine seasonings. Rub seasonings all over roast several hours in advance.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place roast on rack with fatty side up and rib side down. Place roast in oven and cook one hour.
- Turn off oven. DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR AT ALL DURING THIS PROCESS. Leave in oven for 3 hours without opening door.
- About 45 minutes before serving turn oven on to 375 degrees to reheat roast. Very important not to open oven from time roast is put in until ready to serve.
- This makes a RARE prime rib. If a more well done is desired, increase cooking time.
1/2 cup of salt ? Really this recipe ruined a 6 pound Rib Eye Roast. I could see the next recipe down working. We are not the salt babies generation anymore. Where do we send the receipt for this roast $48.00. I will go back to just sticking sliced garlic into meat and lightly pepper and never do rubs again.
Perfect every time! This same method works for roast even 15 lbs. You don't cook it any longer than what is said unless you want it more than med. rare. But you don't put ALL the seasoning on the roast (common sense if you ask me), but if you have never done it before, you may be confused. The seasoning recipe makes an entire batch of seasoning for every day use. You do sprinkle this on your roast liberally, but there is plenty left over. And for the skeptics that think you need to cook a bigger roast longer... If you cook 1 hard boiled egg it takes 10-15 min. If you cook 10 hard boiled eggs, do you cook them for 100-150 min? No. That's just an example. We have made this recipe many times over many years, many different sized roasts. Never had anything but perfect results.
Very easy, and it is "perfect". A standing rib roast is so expensive, I was a bit timid about cooking it, but this recipe is outstanding!