Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Stolen from a blogger.
- 6 cups large yellow squash and zucchini, diced
- vegetable oil, for sauteing
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup crushed butter cracker
- 1 teaspoon house seasoning, recipe follows
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup salt
- 1⁄4 cup black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute the squash in a little vegetable oil over medium-low heat until it has completely broken down, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Line a colander with a clean tea towel Place the cooked squash in the colander. Squeeze out the excess moisture from the squash. Set aside. (This step is very important so it's not so soggy. You can just put it between paper towels or napkins.).
- In a medium size skillet, saute the onion in butter for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and mix all ingredients together except cracker crumbs. Pour mixture into a buttered casserole dish and top with cracker crumbs. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- HOUSE SEASONING: 1 CUP SALT, 1/4 CUP BLACK PEPPER, 1/4 CUP GARLIC POWDER - Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months. Yield: 1 1/2 cups.
I love squash casserole! I've always stewed my squash and this was the first time I sauteed it before putting it in the casserole. I found the cubed squash held its shape much better than sliced, stewed squash. Made for Spring PAC 2014. Thanks for sharing!