Prep 3 hrs
Cook 4 mins
An inexpensive, tasty Celebrity Chef recipe. Prep time includes refrigeration time.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup very finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup very finely chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup very finely chopped green onion, green tops only
- 1 egg, beaten
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, pepper; mix well, breaking up any lumps.
- Add chopped onions, green peppers, green onion tops and egg, stirring thoroughly.
- Note: Mix will be very dry.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours, but no longer than 3 hours or batter will get too moist.
- Shape the dough into small balls for deep frying.
- In a deep skillet, wok, electric frying pan or a proper deepfryer, heat your preferred deep-frying oil to 330F, slip hush puppies into hot oil, turn heat to low and fry in small batches until dark golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Drain on towels and serve hot.
Wowie, wow, wow, wow...these are simply the best!!!..I sprinkled Old Bay Seasoning to the batter and added Fresh Gound Pepper before frying...How tasty!..Next time I will decrease the amount of sugar slightly...
This is a hit year after year at an annual get-together. The platter never makes it very far from the chef.
I love these. I've got the cookbook from where this recipes comes, and it's one of my cooking bibles. These hush puppies are plain fun to eat and colorful. If you want a variation that puts an interesting spin on this recipe - or have a sweet tooth - add some frozen or canned corn kernels. Crazy as it sounds, kids love these.