1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
A recipe from K-Paul's, in New Orleans. "This dish will knock your socks off!", Chef Prudhomme says.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Roast
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon leaf thyme, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 lbs boneless pork loin
For the Gravy
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon leaf thyme, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon leaf sage, crumbled
- 1 dash ground cumin
- 1 (13 3/4 ounce) can beef broth
- 8 gingersnap cookies
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2Saute onion, green bell pepper, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, thyme, and mustard in butter in large heavy skillet over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes or until vegetables soften; remove from heat.
- 3Place roast in shallow roasting pan; fat side up.
- 4Make several slits with sharp knife in the top of the roast, cutting downward, but not through to the bottom.
- 5Stuff pockets with the vegetable filling.
- 6Roast in preheated oven for 1 hours or more, or until a meat thermometer reads the temperature you desire (160 degrees-for medium; 170 degrees for well-done).
- 7Remove roast from pan; keep warm; reserve pan drippings.
- 8To prepare gingersnap gravy, pour off pan juices into a 1 cup measure; skim off fat.
- 9Add enough water to make 1 cup and pour back into the pan.
- 10Set pan on top of the stove over medium-high heat, and simmer for 2 minutes, scraping brown bits from the bottom of the pan; remove from heat.
- 11Saute chopped onion, chopped celery, minced garlic in butter in large skillet for 4-6 minutes.
- 12Add ginger, salt, pepper, thyme, sage, and cumin, mixing well; cook 5 minutes.
- 13Add pan juices from roasting pan and the can of beef broth.
- 14Bring all to the boiling, then lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes.
- 15Break gingersnaps into pieces and add to skillet.
- 16Cook gravy until cookies absorb liquid, then whisk until smooth; simmer 10 minutes more.
- 17Strain gravy, and keep warm.
- 18To serve, slice pork into medallions, and spoon a little gravy over meat; serve extra gravy on the table.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paul Prudhomme's Roast Pork with Gingersnap Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 620.0
- Calories from Fat 376
- Total Fat 41.8 g
- Saturated Fat 17.4 g
- Cholesterol 174.0 mg
- Sodium 1449.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 47.7 g