1/2 Photos of Paul Prudhomme's Hoppin' John
2 hrs 15 mins
Based on the recipe in Seasoned America. Note that even though this recipe uses dried peas, they are not presoaked or precooked.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 slices bacon, diced small
- 3 cups chopped onions, divided
- 2 cups chopped bell peppers, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery, divided
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 lb dried black-eyed peas, rinsed and picked over, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 11 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 cups converted rice, uncooked
- 1Combine seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- 2Place bacon in a large ovenproof pot and cook over high heat until bacon begins to brown, about 6 minutes.
- 3Stir in 2 cups onions, 1 cup peppers, 1 cup celery, 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon seasoning mix, bay leaves, and half the peas.
- 4Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- 5Stir in the garlic and 2 cups stock.
- 6Scrape bottom of pot.
- 7Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- 8Add 1 cup stock and scrape bottom of pot.
- 9Add sausage, 6 cups stock, remaining onions, remaining peppers, remaining celery, remaining peas, and remaining seasoning mix.
- 10Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 11Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until peas are tender, about 1 1/4 hours.
- 12Preheat oven to 350°.
- 13Stir in rice and remaining stock.
- 14Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 15Cover pot and bake in oven 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paul Prudhomme's Hoppin' John
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.9
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 24.0 mg
- Sodium 943.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 17.0 g