Recipe by Juju Bee
This was one of my FAVORITE chicken dishes growing up. We didn't have it too often, (for health reasons :) but when we did I knew it was going to be a good night! If you can't find Paul Prudhomme's "Magic Cajun Spice" you can substitute his "Magic Poultry" or even "Magic for Veal or Pork", but the Cajun seasoning gives it a good kick! Also, we much more prefer boneless skinless thighs. In our family's opinion this dish is just not as flavorful with breast meat, but I left the recipe as it was written by Paul Prudhomme.
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips (*)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 6 ounces unsalted butter or 6 ounces margarine
- 1 tablespoon cajun magic poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons cajun magic poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup green onion top, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 6 ounces pasta, dry (We like Fettuccine)
- shrimp, may be substituted
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta and set aside.
- Mash 1/3 of the butter or margarine and combine with seasoning and chicken.
- Heat a skillet over a high fire until it's hot (about 4 minutes).
- Add chicken pieces and brown them about 2 minutes on the first side and about 1 minute on the other.
- Add mushrooms and cook 2 minutes.
- Add green onions, parsley, garlic and stock.
- Cook 2 more minutes or until the sauce is at a rolling boil.
- Add remaining butter or margarine (cut into pats), stirring and shaking the pan to incorporate.
- Cook for 3 minutes and add the cooked pasta.
- Stir and shake the pan to mix well.
- Serve immediately.