Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2⁄3 orange, unpeeled, sliced, seeded (stem slice discarded)
- 2⁄3 lemon, unpeeled, sliced, seeded (stem slice discarded)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- Heat the butter in a 4-quart saucepan over high heat; when about half melted , add the remaining ingredients.
- Stir, cover, and cook over high heat until mixture comes to a strong boil, about 10 minutes.
- Stir then reduce heat and simmer covered 20 minutes.
- Uncover and continue cooking until sweet potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and discard cinnamon sticks.
- Orange and lemon slices can also be discarded if desired.
- Serve immediately, undrained.
- Can also be mashed.
I need this recipe becouse it was a top-of-the-stove variation. I adapted it for our family by adding only the cup of brown sugar, not the white, and replacing the orange and lemon with a heaping Tbl. of orange marmalade.I also used 1/2 tsp. of nutmeg instead of all the other spices. My family loved it! I didn't 'rate' the recipe becouse I adapted it so much. I took about 1/2 hour to cook on medium high.