Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a delicious recipe from "Newman's Own Cookbook". It is extremely easy and quick to make with very few ingredients. We enjoy it--I hope you do!
- Wash the spinach well and trim the stems.
- Place the spinach in a pan with just the water that clings to the leaves.
- Sprinkle with the nutmeg, cover the saucepan and steam for 2 to 3 minutes, until the leaves are wilted.
- Drain any excess liquid.
- Finely chop the spinach and return to the saucepan.
- Beat the cream cheese in a small bowl until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the heavy cream until blended.
- Stir the cream cheese mixture into the chopped spinach.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until blended and creamy.
- Serve immediately.
I have a Paul Newman cookbook, which includes an egg in the creamed-spinach recipe. "Gradually beat heavy cream and egg into the cream cheese. Stir mixture into chopped spinach. Heat oever meadium heat, sitrring frequeantly until well blneded and creamy. Serve immediately."
Delicious! I have been trying various creamed spinach recipes and this one tops this list for both flavor and ease of preparation. I did adapt the recipe a bit by adding some sauteed onion and some Parmesan cheese.
This was really good and easy! Next time I'll add some parmesan cheese.