1/1 Photo of Paul Newman's Chocolate - Orange Angel Food Cake
1 hr 15 mins
This has to be one of the most incredible desserts I have ever had -- let alone made! Paul Newman was on Oprah several years ago with this recipe of his, and it is absolutely delicious. Preparation time is an estimate, and does not include 15 minutes for bringing the egg whites to room temperature. I hope you enjoy it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Make sure a 10" x 4" tube pan is clean, dry and free of grease.
- 3Grate the chocolate bars on the fine holes of a cheese grater, NOT a teeny-holed citrus grater.
- 4(Make sure you do find orange-flavored dark chocolate-- it is not very difficult to find, and absolutely essential to the recipe).
- 5Separate the eggs, and let the egg whites come to room temperature; about 15 minutes.
- 6Sift 1 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and the salt onto a piece of waxed paper.
- 7Sift them together a total of three times.
- 8Beat the egg whites until frothy.
- 9Add the lemon juice and continue beating.
- 10Sprinkle the remaining cup of sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, over the egg whites and continue beating at medium speed until the egg whites are glossy and form soft peaks that bend over at the top.
- 11Do not overheat, or the egg whites will lose their volume.
- 12Sift 1/4 cup of the dry ingredients over the egg whites and fold.
- 13Gently stir in the vanilla extract and orange rind.
- 14Alternately fold in the chocolate and remaining dry ingredients, working in small batches, until just incorporated.
- 15Pour the batter into the tube pan and bake for 45 minutes, until the top is lightly browned.
- 16A knife inserted in the center of the cake should come out clean.
- 17Remove from the oven and invert the pan.
- 18Allow the cake to cool for 30 to 45 minutes.
- 19Run a knife around the edges of the pan and tube to loosen the cake.
- 20You can serve this as is, or with a little whipped cream, or ice cream-- whatever your heart desires.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paul Newman's Chocolate - Orange Angel Food Cake
Serving Size: 1 (808 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1674.3
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1824.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 352.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 254.8 g
- Protein 56.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
orange-flavored dark chocolate