Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a delicious recipe from "Newman's Own" Cookbook. We have never been able to find his "Newman's Own Say Cheese Pasta Sauce", so feel free to use your favorite one!
- 8 pieces chicken
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup of good dry white wine (optional)
- 1 (16 ounce) jarof newman own say cheese pasta sauce or 1 (16 ounce) jaryour favorite pasta sauce
- 1⁄2 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil or 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375F Pat the chicken dry with paper towels, season with salt and pepper, and dredge in flour, shaking off the excess.
- Heat the oil in a 12" ovenproof skillet.
- Add the chicken pieces, skin side down, and brown over medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Turn the chicken over and cook 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Continue to cook the fat until the solids stick to the pan without burning and the fat is clear.
- Discard the fat, add the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the wine (optional) and bring to a simmer, stirring to incorporate the browned bits.
- Reduce by half.
- Add the spaghetti sauce and bring to a boil.
- Return the chicken to the pan, skin side up.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake the chicken, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove the breast pieces and keep warm.
- Cook the dark meat 5 minutes more.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving casserole and pour the sauce over it.
- Sprinkle with the walnuts and basil (or parsley) on top.