Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Paul McCartney says, "This is a fantastic salad that can accompany whatever you like-here it's served with tofu, but could just as easily serve it with veggie burgers or vegetarian sausages, as well as fries and new or mashed potatoes. You can also vary the steamed vegetables according to what's in season." From The Meat Free Monday Cookbook; A Full Menu for Every Monday of the Year. Paul, along with numerous other luminaries, started the Meat Free Monday campaign to address pollution, better health, and the ethical treatment of animals and global hunger..
- 28 cherry tomatoes
- 12 green beans, 1 inch lengths
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into one inch pieces
- 3 heads broccoli, cut into florets (4 cups)
- 1 head lettuce (like romaine)
- 3 green onions, minced
- 2⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup chopped herbs (like parsley, basil, tarragon, or cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 9 ounces firm tofu, cut into slices (or extra firm)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (optional)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Roast tomatoes on large baking sheet 10 minutes.
- Fill saucepan with 1 inch cold water, place steamer above it. Put green beans and carrots in steamer. Turn heat on high and steam about 15 minutes. Add broccoli 3 minutes before other vegetables are done occasionally prodding carrots with fork to check for desired crispness or tenderness.
- Meanwhile, toss together lettuce leaves and green onions.
- Combine cornmeal and herbs in a bowl.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Coat tofu slices in cornmeal mixture, and cook 3-5 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Transfer to paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Whisk together all ingredients in small bowl.
- Arrange lettuce on a serving plate, followed by warm vegetables, and finally tofu.
- Pour dressing over salad, and serve immediately.