Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This recipe was posted by request for a recipezaar friend who collects celebrity's recipes. I've never tried it so let me know if you do. This was passed down to me by my Uncle Vern. (this was typed as given to me)
- 3 lbs stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 (15 ounce) candiced carrots, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can white pearl onions, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can peas, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can small whole potatoes, drained
- 1 (10 1/4 ounce) can beef consomme (only use 1/2 can)
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Combine everything in a large casserole dish.
- Cover and cook in oven for 6-7 hours.
Thank you for posting the recipe. My mother made it when I was growing up. It's the best Stew I ever had. I remember her seeing Paul Lynde on the old Mike Douglas show when he made this. You were able to mail in and get the recipe. Now I have it for my family.
Mom used to make stew from scratch until watching Paul Lynde prepare this on the Mike Douglas Show. It was a huge hit at our house. Whenever I see a box of Tapioca, I think of this recipe.