Recipe by Lennie
Another celebrity recipe. I do not know if you should chop up the tomatoes or not, but this sounds great. This would be vegan if you don't use the butter.
Top Review by Dib's
Well, I gotta say I was leary of making this as I am a fan of split pea and ham soup. This was awsome. I made it yesterday for lunch/dinner today and it did not make it past 8:00 P.M. it was that good. My daughter, who is a vegetarian thanks you, and has informed me that not only will I be making it again today, but can plan on making this on a regular basis. The only thing I changed was the tomato-I could not find fresh tomatoes that were worth buying so I used a small can of whole tomatoes with juice. I also liked the fact that I could slide some Lentils past my DH! Excellent recipe! Di
- 1⁄2 lb split peas
- 1⁄4 lb orange lentils
- 1 1⁄2 large onions, quartered
- 4 stalks celery, including leaves, rinsed & chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled
- 2 leeks, white part only, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 5 cups water (about)
- 1⁄4 lb butter or 1⁄4 lb soy margarine
- crushed black peppercorns
- sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place split peas, lentils, onions, celery, tomatoes and leeks in large pot and cover with water.
- Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer about 1-1/2 hours, until split peas and lentils are soft.
- Add butter and stir until melted.
- Add peppercorns and sea salt to taste.