Patzaria Salata (Beet Salad)
- Wash the beetroots and the stalks very well under cold running water many times to remove any dirt.
- Cut the most bottom part of the beet but leave the stalks and upper leaves intact.
- Boil the beets for 35-45 minutes or until tender (depending on size), and allow them to cool in their own water.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the beetroots, and cut them in rounds or quarters.
- Cut the stems in half or thirds, depending on length.
- Place the beets and stems in a bowl and dress with the olive oil, vinegar, salt, and 1-2 tablespoons of the water that they were boiled in (and the garlic, if used) and mix well.
- This salad is an excellent accompaniment to fried or broiled fish.