Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 4 -5 beetroots (with stalks and leaves)
- olive oil
- 1 -2 clove garlic (finely chopped) (optional)
- Wash the beetroots and the stalks very well under cold running water many times to remove any dirt.
- Cut the most bottom part of the beet but leave the stalks and upper leaves intact.
- Boil the beets for 35-45 minutes or until tender (depending on size), and allow them to cool in their own water.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the beetroots, and cut them in rounds or quarters.
- Cut the stems in half or thirds, depending on length.
- Place the beets and stems in a bowl and dress with the olive oil, vinegar, salt, and 1-2 tablespoons of the water that they were boiled in (and the garlic, if used) and mix well.
- This salad is an excellent accompaniment to fried or broiled fish.
I didn't have the beets with the greens still attached, but this salad was really good anyway. Thanks for something new and easy to do with yummy beets.
This is really good! Everyone but THE PICKY ONE liked it & 8yo LOVED it! I used 2 bunches of greens & 1 bunch of beets. I sauteed the greens in olive oil & garlic instead of boiling them. I will definitely be serving his again! Made for the Topic of the Month 5/08 - salads & berries.