Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe comes from a friend of mine who is a native Mississippian. This recipe comes to her passed down within her family for who knows how many generations.
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water (MORE OR LESS AS NEEDED TO ADJUST UNTIL SMOOTH LIKE A CAKE BATTER)
- In bowl add dry ingredients then mix in the eggs; mix well.
- Add mayonnaise; mix well.
- Add milk; mix well.
- Add water till smooth like a cake.
- Heat iron skillet till hot in oven.
- Remove and sprinkle bits of meal around in hot skillet.
- Pour and spread evenly the corn bread batter mixture to hot iron skillet.
- Cook at 350 degrees until golden brown and it is done.
- Bread will come away from edges when ready.
- Before you cut into pieces poke holes in top.
- Melt butter (to taste) and pour into holes in the cornbread.
- Cut bread in serving size wedges.
- *Note: You can make this recipe using yellow corn meal but add about a tablespoon of sugar to the cornbread batter.