1/2 Photos of Patty's French Onion Soup
3 hrs 30 mins
chez patty's Note:
easy to make, stores well, and tastes great. A family favourite in the long cold Canadian winter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 118.29 ml butter
- 946.36 ml sliced cooking onions
- 29.58 ml instant flour
- 4 (1133.98 g) can beef bouillon (NOT consume)
- 3 (850.48 g) can water
- 4.92-9.85 ml black pepper (less or more , depending on your preference)
- 1 package rusk (dried bread rounds, usually in bread aisle at grocery store)
- grated mozzarella cheese
- parmesan cheese
- 1Put butter in a large pot.
- 2add the onions and sauté till translucent.
- 3Add two tablespoons instant blending flour and stir well.
- 4Add 4 cans of beef bouillion, and 3 cans of water.
- 5Add 1-2 tsp black pepper.
- 6Simmer, without letting boil, (I usually make in the morning and let simmer most of the day).
- 7Taste test for strength of broth, you want it beefy-- add more bouillon if needed, and pepper if not peppery enough.
- 8Fill french onion soup bowls with the soup.
- 9Top with a Rusk, then grated mozzarella and parmesan.
- 10Bake in hot oven 400 degrees till cheese is golden and bubbly.
- 11You can brown up the cheese with the broiler if needed.
- 12This makes quite a bit, but it stores in the fridge and can be re heated.
- 13It will look yucky when you go to reheat as the butter comes to top and hardens-- but once heated is fine.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Patty's French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.0
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 824.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: