Recipe by ChefDebs
This recipe came from a book i am reading " Bread Alone " I havent tried it yet, but it looks delicious.I didnt have any bourbon in the house otherwise i would try it..Any brave souls out there who can give this a "shot" ( 'scuse the pun )
Top Review by Sari #3
A non-baking friend of mine (coincidentally named Patty), actually read this book and asked me to make this recipe. IT WAS DELICIOUS! This cake was just wonderful, and I could eat the sauce plain. It's not as rich as you might expect given the chocolate and caramel, the coffee and bourbon balance it out quite nicely. Definitely try this recipe!
- 7 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups strong coffee
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
espresso caramel sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons espresso
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour 2 81/2 by 41/2 inch loaf pans.
- Put the chocolate, butter and coffee in a large heavy saucepan.
- Place over low heat, stirring constantly until chocolate is melted, then stir vigorously until mixture is smooth and blended.
- Set aside to cool for 10 mins, then beat in the bourbon eggs and vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients and beat into the chocolate mixture until well blended.
- Divide batter between pans and bake in a 275* oven for 50 mins, until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 15 mins, then turn out onto racks to cool completely. Serve with whipped cream, creme fraiche or Expresso Caramel Sauce.
- "Espresso caramel sauce.".
- Whisk the sugar into water and pour into heavy bottom saucepan.
- Stir over med heat until sugar is dissolved, increase heat and bring to a boil. Do not stir, but wash down sides of pan frequently with a brush dipped in water.
- Meanwhile heat the cream to a simmer in another pan.
- When sugar begins to caramelize, lift pan carefully and swirl mixture to even caramelization.
- Boil until syrup is a beautiful brown color, about 3-4 mins.Remove from heat and set pan in sink.
- Slowly pour cream into the syrup , whisking to combine. Be Careful as it may splatter.!
- Stir in espresso and stir until smooth.
- If mixture starts to harden, return to low heat and whisk until dissolved.