Tasty patty melts made on the stove-top (I just use a regular non-stick skillet, or you could use a grill pan if you have one). If you don't have Dijonnaise- just mix equal parts of Dijon mustard & mayo. Simple & tasty. :) From CL May 2008.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 slices vidalia onions (sliced 1/8-inch-thick) or 8 slices other sweet onion (sliced 1/8-inch-thick)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- cooking spray
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard (creamy mustard BLEND such as Dijonnaise!!!)
- 8 slices rye bread (or whole wheat is good)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat jarlsberg cheese
- 1Arrange onion slices on a plate. Drizzle vinegar over onion slices. Heat a large grill pan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; cover and cook 3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan; cover and keep warm.
- 2Heat pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Divide beef into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Sprinkle patties evenly with salt and pepper. Add patties to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done.
- 3Spread about 1 teaspoon mustard blend over 4 bread slices; layer each slice with 2 tablespoons cheese, 1 patty, 2 onion slices, and 2 tablespoons cheese. Spread about 1 teaspoon mustard blend over remaining bread slices; place, mustard side down, on top of sandwiches.
- 4Heat pan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sandwiches to pan. Place a cast-iron or other heavy skillet on top of sandwiches; press gently to flatten. Cook 3 minutes on each side or until bread is toasted (leave cast-iron skillet on sandwiches while they cook).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Patty Melt With Grilled Onions
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 340.6
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 70.3 mg
- Sodium 769.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 30.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat jarlsberg cheese