1/9 Photos of Patty Melt
This is from the PBS television show "Cooks Country" My all time favorite sandwich, it was dreampt up by some genius in the 50's, no one is sure just who!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Tear up the 2 slices rye bread into small pieces, add the 2 T. milk and spices. Mash well, then mix with the hamburger, form into 4 patties, forming into the shape of the bread. Poke a hole in the center to prevent plumping.
- 2In a large skillet melt 2 T. butter, add two patties and brown on one side only. Remove from pan and brown the other two.
- 3Drain the fat reserving one teaspoon. put in the onions in the skillet and brown lightly, 8-10 minutes.
- 4Lay the patties raw side down on the onions. Reduce the heat and cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- 5Remove every thing, wipe out the pan.
- 6Butter the bread, (or just put butter in the pan).
- 7On 4 slices of bread, put 1/4 cup cheese, put a patty on, put another 1/4 cup cheese on top, and a big pile of onions. Top with the other 4 slices.
- 8Two at a time grill each sandwich. keeping the already done ones warm in a low oven.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Patty Melt
Serving Size: 1 (395 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 865.3
- Calories from Fat 443
- Total Fat 49.2 g
- Saturated Fat 23.9 g
- Cholesterol 181.6 mg
- Sodium 1237.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 54.1 g