Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another easy sandwich that my boys liked. They had trouble with onions, but I chopped them REALLY fine and I don't know that they knew they where there, did you guys, lol.
- 1 slice American cheese
- 1 slice swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup onions, sliced or 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 slices rye bread
- Sauté onions until golden in 2 tablespoons butter until translucent and lightly golden.
- Remove from the pan.
- Form the meat patty so it will fit the bread.
- Grill to desired doneness.
- Butter bread on one side; put buttered side down on hot griddle, put 1 slice cheese followed by onions then cooked patty, followed by cheese.
- Butter one side of the other slice of bread and place on top buttered side out.
- Fry until bread is crisp but not burned (I have trouble with this part), turn over and do the same thing on the other side. Cheese should be well melted.
- Slice on the diagonal.
this is a great sandwich
This was made for my dinner on 5/27/08, and as part of "A Taste of Yellow 2008 " and for "April Showers Bring May Flowers 2008 ".I've eaten several patty melts in my life, and this happens to be the best I've ever had.The only swiss cheese I had was block, so a little of that was shredded and used.Since my bread was shaped a little different than other rye breads, I did have a little trouble turning it over. But other than that, this will be made again. Thank you for posting and, "Keep Smiling :)"
Great! BUT... I use ground turkey and add a little lipton onion soup mix to it and they are wonderful!