Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
With a few tweaks to the recipe of the infamous and incomparable Ms. Patti Labelle, I can now make greens my young children love to eat!
- Fill your kitchen sink with water and wash the greens well. As you lift the greens from the sink, any grit will fall to the bottom. Repeat if necessary.
- Tear the greens into large pieces, and remove and discard tough stems. Place greens in a large bowl - do NOT drain in a colander.
- In a large pot, combine the onions, 2 cups water, oil, and jalapenos (if using). Bring to the boil over high heat.
- Gradually stir in the greens, letting one batch wilt before you add the next. Bury the turkey wing in the greens. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until the greens are tender, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the turkey wing, discard the skin and bones. Chop the turkey meat and return to the pot.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the greens to a serving dish. Serve hot.