Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My favorite recipe from Patti LaBelle. It is well worth the work!!
- 3 lbs red potatoes, well scrubbed
- 6 large eggs, hard-cooked
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- Place potoates in large pot with enough water to cover by an inch.
- Bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to med-high and simmer until tender, but not mushy, about 20 minutes.
- Pour out most of the water and place the pot in the sink.
- Run cold water over the potatoes for about 2 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Place in a large bowl.
- Chop 4 hard-cooked eggs and add to the potates, along with the red onion, green pepper and celery.
- Sprinkle with celery seed.
- Gradually stir in the mayonnaise, mustard and relish, being careful not to smash the potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Slice the 2 remaining hard cooked eggs.
- Arrange the slices on top of the salad and sprinkle with paprika.
- Server immediately, or cool, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at leat to hours.
- Note: How to hard cook eggs.
- Place the eggs in a saucepan (non-aluminum) just large enough to hold them in one layer.
- Fill with enough cold water to cover by 1 inch.
- Bring to a gentle boil over high heat.
- cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the stove and cover tightly.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Pour out most of the water and place the pan in the sink.
- Let cold water run over eggs for about 3 minutes.
- Crack and peel the eggs while still warm.