1 hr 40 mins
Cucina Casalingo's Note:
From the Chef at Patsy's on 56th Street, New York City. Patsy's Savory Meatballs #rz.137551 can be made ahead for use in this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 lbs fresh lasagna sheets (4 by 8 inch )
- coarse salt
- 10 cups pasta sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 3 cups meatballs (1/2 recipe meatballs for Patsy)
- 1 1/3 cups freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaf, plus more for garnish
- 2 lbs sweet Italian sausage, broiled and thinly sliced
- 2 lbs fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 2 cups fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1Bring a large pot of water to a boil; season with salt. Add lasagna sheets and cook until pliable and al dente, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold water.
- 2Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 3Pour 1 cup sauce into a shallow baking dish; set aside.
- 4Cut two sheets in half lengthwise to make four 2-by-8-inch sheets; set aside.
- 5Spread 1 cup sauce on the bottom of a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
- 6Dip half of a reserved cut sheet crosswise in the reserved sauce, and drape over a corner of the baking pan, leaving the sauce-covered end in the pan with the other half hanging over the edge.
- 7Repeat with remaining 3 cut sheets and corners.
- 8Line edges of pan in the same manner using full-size sheets dipped lengthwise.
- 9Finish lining the bottom of the pan with 2 full sheets.
- 10In a medium bowl, toss to combine meatballs with 1/3 cup pecorino Romano, and 1/4 cup basil; spread evenly in bottom of dish.
- 11Pour over 1 cup sauce, and cover with 2 lasagna sheets.
- 12In the same bowl, toss sausages with 1/3 cup pecorino Romano; spread evenly in baking dish.
- 13Pour over 1 cup sauce, and cover with 2 lasagna sheets.
- 14In a medium bowl, combine mozzarella with 1/3 cup pecorino Romano; spread evenly in baking dish.
- 15Pour over 1 cup sauce, and cover with 2 lasagna sheets.
- 16In a medium bowl, combine remaining 1/3 cup pecorino Romano with ricotta and egg; spread evenly in baking dish.
- 17Top with 1 cup sauce.
- 18Center pasta sheets on ricotta within 1/2-inch of the edge of dish. Brush draped lasagna with sauce, and fold over to seal and enclose.
- 19Cover lasagna with a clean, damp kitchen towel.
- 20Double-wrap baking dish in aluminum foil.
- 21Place an ovenproof plate, upside down, in a large roasting pan; fill pan with 2 inches of hot water.
- 22Place lasagna on top of plate. Bake until lasagna reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees to 170 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, 1 1/2 hours to 1 hour 40 minutes.
- 23Remove from oven; let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- 24Garnish with remaining basil, and serve with remaining sauce, if desired.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Patsy's Meatball Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (498 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1066.3
- Calories from Fat 380
- Total Fat 42.3 g
- Saturated Fat 20.2 g
- Cholesterol 145.1 mg
- Sodium 2342.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 110.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 25.1 g
- Protein 59.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese