Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe my mother has been using for awhile now and our family just loves it.
- 32 ounces frozen broccoli cuts
- 4 cups frozen pearl onions
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided in half
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large saucepan cook the broccoli and onions together until tender.
- Drain well.
- Place the broccoli and onions in a greased 13 X 9 inch baking dish.
- In the large saucepan you just finished using (I hate messing up more dishes), melt 1/4 cup butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Gradually add milk and bring to a boil.
- Cooke, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the cream cheese cubes until smooth and blended.
- Cover the broccoli and onions with this sauce mixture and lightly stir to coat.
- Melt the remaining butter and toss with the breadcrumbs to coat them.
- Place the breadcrumbs over the broccoli mixture and then cover the breadcrumb mix with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees until top is golden brown.