Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This one is tough to beat on a cold winter day. Substitute veggies based on what you have on hand, canned or, in your freezer -- just add the fresh veggies first and let them cook for awhile. Easy! Enjoy!
- 1 lb stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 head broccoli, chopped, peel stem and chop
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, chopped
- 8 large carrots, sliced
- 12 ounces canned corn, drained
- 90 ounces chicken broth (6 - 15 oz. cans)
- 15 ounces stewed tomatoes, canned, tops removed
- 15 ounces canned sliced potatoes, drained, chopped
- 15 ounces canned green beans, drained (I use "shelly beans")
- 2 cups snow peas, tips removed (or frozen peas)
- 1 lb Italian sausage (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons Italian spices (see directions)
- 1 tablespoon tomato- chicken bouillon (I use Dona Maria brand ( Mexican isle at grocery)
- stale bread, torn up (optional)
- 30 ounces water
- In a large cooking pot, sauté the beef and Italian sausage (if using) in the olive oil until browned. Add the table salt at this time. Pour off any excess fluid. Add the chopped onions and continue to sauté over medium heat until onions are tender.
- Deglaze the pot with a couple ounces of the chicken broth, add the remaining chicken stock and water, then add all the fresh vegetables and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add all seasonings and stir.
- Add all remaining canned ingredients except potatoes, stir, and adjust for any additional needed seasonings. Cook, covered, at a very slow boil for one hour. After the hour, add the potatoes, and then the STALE BREAD (5-6 slices if using) ONLY if you want your soup REALLY thick. Continue to cook at a slow boil for 30 minutes and serve.
- NOTE 1: If you have no tomato-based bouillon, just use a couple of chicken bouillon cubes and 2 ounces of tomato paste.
- NOTE 2: I use DEE 415's "Italian Spice Blend" in MANY of my dishes -- here's how to make a batch: 2 tablespoons dried basil, 2 tablespoons dried marjoram, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, 1 tablespoon dried thyme, 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes.