1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 5 mins
Here's a recipe I created by morphing several recipes I was able to find on the internet for tomato basil soup, tomato bisque, and roasted garlic soup. (Note: I totally omit the cream. After cooking and then processing, the coup has a nice thick consistency that doesn't really need to be thickened more- or the added calories. Simply omit the pressing of the soup through the sieve and the addition of the step nine: Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan until foaming.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 lbs plum tomatoes, ripened and roughly chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, shredded and loosely packed
- 2/3 cup light cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Remove loose, papery skin from garlic, leaving heads intact.
- 3Place garlic on a sheet of heavy-duty foil; drizzle with 1/4 teaspoon olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- 4Loosely wrap foil around garlic, folding foil edges securely.
- 5Roast until garlic has softened, about 40 minutes, then transfer to plate.
- 6Open carefully and discard foil; let garlic cool.
- 7Separate garlic into cloves.
- 8Squeeze soft garlic from each clove into a small bowl; set aside.
- 9Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan until foaming.
- 10Add the onion and roasted garlic. Cook gently for about 5 minutes, stirring, until the onion is softened but not brown.
- 11Stir in the chopped tomatoes, then add the stock, white wine and sun-dred tomato paste, with salt and pepper to taste.
- 12Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, half cover the pan, and simmer gently for 20 minutes, shirring occcasionally to keep the tomatoes from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- 13Process the soup with the shredded basil in a blender or food processor, then press through a sieve into a clean pan.
- 14Add the cream and heat through, stirring.
- 15Do not allow the soup to approach the boiling point.
- 16Check the consistency and add more stock if necessary, then season with salt and pepper.
- 17Pour into heated bowls and garnish with basil.
- 18Serve at once.(Can also be frozen and served later.).
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pat's Tomato Basil Bisque With Roasted Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.7
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 27.7 mg
- Sodium 92.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: