1/1 Photo of Pat's Best 'tater Salad (Potato Salad)
Bone Man's Note:
This one is either for serving up the family reunion (to impress the heck out of the kinfolk), or, to hoard all for yourself. I LOVE 'tater salad sandwiches and this version of the old standby is my pick. I credit my mom (gone now) with having developed the recipe. I'm sure that her own grandmother and step-mom had their finger in this one too. Of course, I had to tweak it a bit but it's not a lot different from its genesis. A perfect side dish to fried chicken and/or corn on the cob.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large eggs, hard-boiled
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 4 tablespoons ranch salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon Italian salad dressing
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 1 cup sweet pickle relish, drained
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 10 medium new potatoes, boiled
- 1After boiling the potatoes (do not overcook!), rinse them in cold water and place them in the refrigerator for an hour.
- 2Once the boiled potatoes have cooled in the refrigerator, scrape off the peelings with a paring knife and, using a filet knife or other thin-bladed knife, cut the potatoes into crouton-sized cubes.
- 3Halve the eggs and remove the yolks. Roughly chop the whites and set them aside. Mash the egg yolks in the mixing bowl until there are no lumps, then add the mustard and salad dressings. Stir until smooth.
- 4Put the potato cubes in a large mixing bowl and add the chopped egg whites, the yolk mixture and all other ingredients except for the paprika, saving the mayonnaise as the final addition. While adding the mayonnaise in last, stir carefully and slowly until the salad is well blended. Too much mayonnaise can make the potato salad runny -- if you don't need all the mayonnaise, then stop when you have a good blend.
- 5Transfer the potato salad to an adequate serving bowl and sprinkle the paprika over the top as a garnish. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least four hours prior to serving.
- 6NOTE: I do prefer to use Heinz mustard but any regular yellow mustard will do. Also, Yukon Gold potatoes can be substituted.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pat's Best 'tater Salad (Potato Salad)
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 277.2
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 112.2 mg
- Sodium 650.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 6.5 g