Recipe by Bone Man
This is the best way I know to use up leftover baked potatoes from the previous evening's steak-fest. I've pretty much settled in on this recipe and it's served me well for about 30 years. My daughter always loved these for breakfast with some leftover hunks of re-heated grilled sirloin and a couple of over-medium eggs. And, this is a good, easy recipe for NEW CHEFS. Enjoy these for breakfast drenched in white gravy along with scrambled eggs.
Top Review by moramor
This worked out perfectly for me...I nuked the potatoes right before I cubed them. I was afraid they were going to fall apart, but I tossed them very gently into the pan and let them sit on med for about 20 minutes...they got nice and crispy on that side. Thank you! (I used 2 T olive oil and about 1.5 T butter with 3 lg russet potatoes.)
- 4 medium potatoes, baked (leftover, cold)
- 1⁄4 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper (canned)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 tablespoons corn oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Leave the peelings on the potatoes and dice into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Melt the butter and add the oil in a large no-stick skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter/oil is hot, add in the diced potatoes and chopped onion.
- Fry until at least 1/2 of the sides have browned -- stirring and turning should be kept to an absolute minimum.
- Transfer the home fries to a serving plate with a couple of paper towels on it to absorb extra oil.