Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From the American Dairy Association and Dairy Council, Inc. in Silvia Lehrer's Cooking Column in Dan's Papers. Great for the 4th of July or anytime you want. Brandy for adults only...make it for kids without it.
- 3 1⁄2 ounces white chocolate, fine quality
- 1 1⁄4 cups creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated from the whole lemon
- 1 -2 teaspoon brandy (optional)
- strawberry, whole (to garnish)
- Break up the chocolate into small pieces and put into a mixing bowl large enough to straddle a saucepan.
- Put about 1 cup water into saucepan and place bowl with chocolate over the water in the pan.
- Place over low heat to melt the chocolate. Watch carefully as chocolate melts, about 2 minutes, then stir to a smooth cream.
- Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
- Whip the creme fraiche with the sugar until fluffy. Add the cooled chocolate in a thin steady stream whisking until smooth.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight until ready to use.
- Slice the strawberries and mix with the blueberries, add lemon rind and brandy, if using, and gently stir to mix.
- To assemble the parfaits, alternately layer the mousse with the mixed berries in 6 parfait glasses or spoon into dessert dishes.
- Garnish with strawberries if desired.