Recipe by Lvs2Cook
Patriotic cupcakes that can be used for any occasion. You can always substitute your own recipe for white cake and white frosting. In regards to the comment below, I went back to the original recipe to check and it does call for 2 tablespoons of batter per color -- I have never had any problems and I actually get 12 cupcakes out of this recipe. I use scant tablespoons. If anyone is worried, try it with teaspoons instead of tablespoons or even 1 tablespoon of the batters per cupcake.
Top Review by Beverly292
This was really fun to make with my daughters for the 4th of July! We didn't make cupcakes but a 9x13 cake. We just very gently spread the one color on top of the other. It turned out great with the three layers. Topped with white frosting and blue and red sugar crystals. Thanks for the great idea and recipe.
- 18 1⁄4 ounces white cake mix
- 1 cup water (or as indicated on cake mix directions)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as indicated on cake mix directions)
- 3 eggs (or as indicated on cake mix directions)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon blue food coloring
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 (16 ounce) can vanilla frosting
- red white and blue candy sprinkles
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 1/3 cups batter with blue food coloring. In another small bowl, combine red food coloring with 1 1/3 cups batter. Leave the remaining batter plain.
- Fill paper-lined muffin tins with 2 tablespoons red batter, 2 tablespoons plain batter, and 2 tablespoons blue batter. Do not swirl batter, leave it layered.
- Bake at 350ºF for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan and then remove cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost with vanilla frosting and decorate with sprinkles.