Patriotic cupcakes that can be used for any occasion. You can always substitute your own recipe for white cake and white frosting. In regards to the comment below, I went back to the original recipe to check and it does call for 2 tablespoons of batter per color -- I have never had any problems and I actually get 12 cupcakes out of this recipe. I use scant tablespoons. If anyone is worried, try it with teaspoons instead of tablespoons or even 1 tablespoon of the batters per cupcake.
- 18 1⁄4 ounces white cake mix
- 1 cup water (or as indicated on cake mix directions)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as indicated on cake mix directions)
- 3 eggs (or as indicated on cake mix directions)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon blue food coloring
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 (16 ounce) can vanilla frosting
- red white and blue candy sprinkles
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 1/3 cups batter with blue food coloring. In another small bowl, combine red food coloring with 1 1/3 cups batter. Leave the remaining batter plain.
- Fill paper-lined muffin tins with 2 tablespoons red batter, 2 tablespoons plain batter, and 2 tablespoons blue batter. Do not swirl batter, leave it layered.
- Bake at 350ºF for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan and then remove cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost with vanilla frosting and decorate with sprinkles.
This was really fun to make with my daughters for the 4th of July! We didn't make cupcakes but a 9x13 cake. We just very gently spread the one color on top of the other. It turned out great with the three layers. Topped with white frosting and blue and red sugar crystals. Thanks for the great idea and recipe.
Wonderful! These turned out so pretty! I used Magnolia Bakery's Vanilla Birthday Cake and Frosting for the icing and the cake, but used your directions to color the batter. I used 1 T. of each color batter in each muffin cup and came out with 24 cupcakes. Everyone loved them and I plan on using this recipe for other holidays. Thank you Lvs2Cook for posting!
I like the idea behind these but I've got to say that 2tbsp of each color is too much. The cupcakes overflow. I did approx. 1-1 1/2tbsp per color and they came out perfect. (The box says 24 cupcakes and if it only makes 12 this was they seem overfilled)