Patriotic cupcakes that can be used for any occasion. You can always substitute your own recipe for white cake and white frosting. In regards to the comment below, I went back to the original recipe to check and it does call for 2 tablespoons of batter per color -- I have never had any problems and I actually get 12 cupcakes out of this recipe. I use scant tablespoons. If anyone is worried, try it with teaspoons instead of tablespoons or even 1 tablespoon of the batters per cupcake.
- 18 1⁄4 ounces white cake mix
- 1 cup water (or as indicated on cake mix directions)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as indicated on cake mix directions)
- 3 eggs (or as indicated on cake mix directions)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon blue food coloring
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 (16 ounce) can vanilla frosting
- red white and blue candy sprinkles
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 1/3 cups batter with blue food coloring. In another small bowl, combine red food coloring with 1 1/3 cups batter. Leave the remaining batter plain.
- Fill paper-lined muffin tins with 2 tablespoons red batter, 2 tablespoons plain batter, and 2 tablespoons blue batter. Do not swirl batter, leave it layered.
- Bake at 350ºF for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan and then remove cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost with vanilla frosting and decorate with sprinkles.