Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Stuffing a turkey is a great idea and giving it a good pre-roasting rub with herbs and spices makes it even better. Here's one that I developed for my holiday turkeys. It also works great for turkeys cooked in a smoker. If you can't find commercial fine herbe, I have provided the recipe in the DIRECTIONS section. Enjoy!
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon popcorn salt, butter-flavored
- 1 teaspoon herb seasoning mix, fine herbe blend
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- Blend all the rub ingredients.
- Pat the thawed turkey dry, inside and out, with paper towels.
- Prior to stuffing your turkey, rub this blend all over the bird, inside and out. Try to get some under the skin if you can. You can also use this rub if you do not plan to stuff your turkey.
- Allow the seasoned turkey to sit for a few minutes after applying the rub and prior to roasting.
- Not all the rub will stick to the turkey -- that's okay. Just use whatever sticks.
- NOTE: I also like to melt a stick of butter and pour over the turkey once it has been seasoned and is in the roaster.
- FINE HERBE BLEND RECIPE: Italian parsley, minced ¼ cup; chives, minced ¼ cup; fresh basil, minced ¼ cup; fresh thyme, minced ¼ cup; fresh mint, minced ¼ cup.