Recipe by Bone Man
A roasted whole chicken is always better if you rub it inside and out with a good blend of herbs and spices. Here's one that I developed over the years that works good for me. I also take this rub camping if I plan to roast a chicken in my Dutch oven in the campfire coals. Enjoy!
Top Review by LilPinkieJ
Great simple recipe for a chicken rub. I like that it isn't full of thyme or sage and that it doesn't use a bunch of salt. I used sea salt and crushed the rosemary before rubbing the chicken. I also used your tip to add some butter and stuck it under the skin as well. Great stuff! It made the drippings taste great too, so it made a wonderful gravy as well. Thank you so much :)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (from a can)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub the chicken inside and out with this blend and allow it to sit for a few minutes prior to baking/roasting. It's good if you can get some under the skin too.
- Not all the rub will stick to the chicken -- that's okay.
- TIP: I also like to pour about 1/2 stick of melted butter all over the chicken, after it has been seasoned and is sitting in the roasting pot.