Recipe by faith58
DH got this recipe out of the paper and we made it for dinner and was a hit so thought I would share it. If you wanted you can use Italian sausage and any veggies you would like. We made two and they freeze well. We used jimmy dean hot sausage and it gave it a nice kick! The cook time is for the prep and for the bread dough to thaw.
- 1 (1 lb) frozen white bread dough
- 1⁄2 lb pork sausage
- 1⁄2 cup sauteed onion
- 14 slices pepperoni
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place frozen bread dough on greased baking sheet and allow to thaw covered with a cloth for 1 to 2 hours.
- In a medium skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until brown and drain fat.
- Roll thawed bread dough on a lightly floured surface to make a flat rectangular crust 10 inches by 13 inches.
- Spoon sausage and onion mixture evenly over prepared dough leaving 1/2 inch to 1 inch of room along the outer edges.
- Scatter pepperoni over the sausage. Sprinkle all the seasonings over the toppings, along with both kinds of cheese.
- Wet all of the edges of the dough with water and then starting at one of the short ends, carefully begin rolling the rectangle of dough toward the other end (like a dessert cake roll) pinching the sides to seal. Seal and flatten the ends of the sandwich, folding them under and turning sandwich over so all seams are now on the bottom.
- Brush the entire sandwich with the beaten egg and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes to allow cheese and ingredients to set up before cutting and serving.