Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This hearty classic beef stew is perfect for a cold fall or winter's night!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet onion soup mix
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 3 -4 baking potatoes, skinned and cubed
- 4 -5 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can green peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can hominy or 1 (15 ounce) cangolden corn
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1. In a large sauce pan, brown the stew beef in olive oil and garlic.
- 2. Add potatoes, carrots, celery, peas, corn, and tomatoes.
- 3. Add onion soup mix, bouillon and wine. (Burgundy (Pinot Noir) is traditional, but rule of thumb: the best wine to cook with is your favorite wine to drink!).
- 4. Simmer over medium-low heat 5-10 hours. (A broth will form as stew sweats.).
- 5. Add cornstarch mixed with water.
- 6. Turn heat to medium-high and stir until thickened.
- 7. ENJOY!
I loved it as well as my family it will now be one that we do again and again