Prep 1 hr 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Bulk bread recipe for bigger families. Hearty and simple to make.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups reserved potato water, warm to touch
- 4 tablespoons dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 1⁄2 lbs all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chives (optional) or 1 1⁄2 cups scallions (optional)
- Peel potatos,cut and boil till soft, reserve water, let potato cool.
- Add yeast to water, stir to dissolve and let stand for a few minutes to activate. white foam should form on top.
- Mix cooled potatos, yeast and oil together until fully incorporated.
- Cover and let stand for about 30 minutes(does not have to double in volume, but you will notice sponging)
- add flour, salt and optional seasoning and kneed, or mix with bread hook.
- It will appear dry like pie dough but will form to bread dough.
- Divide dough, form into loaves and let stand for about an hour covered before baking @ 350 degrees for about 45 minutes
- (You can dust loaves with flour before baking to give it a rustic look.)
- Can also be scaled into 4 ounces dough rolls to use for sandwiches.