Recipe by Dwynnie
This is the Thunder Cake recipe from Patricia Polacco's "Thunder Cake" picture book. It is a wonderful chocolate cake with a hint of fruit flavor from the secret ingredient! It is perfect frosted with Chocolate Buttercream Icing and topped with fresh sliced strawberries! (The strawberries and tomato match wonderfully and I promise that no one will know it is tomato, they will only ask what you did to make it so wonderful!)
Top Review by lynnfisi
This was a really great recipe. I made it for my tutoring student as an end of the year surprise. He had just read the book in class and he got really excited about it. I was skeptical about the tomatoes but it went really well together!
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup cold water
- 1⁄3 cup tomato puree
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour two 8 1/2 inch cake pans.
- Cream together the shortening and sugar.
- Beat in the vanilla and egg yolks.
- Mix in the cold water and pureed tomatoes.
- Beat the egg whites until they are stiff and fold into egg/tomato mixture.
- Sift the cake flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix dry mixture into wet.
- Pour batter evenly into cake pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let cakes cool on wire racks before frosting with chocolate buttercream icing.
- Optional: Top with fresh strawberries.