1/1 Photo of Patricia Polacco's Thunder Cake
1 hr 5 mins
This is the Thunder Cake recipe from Patricia Polacco's "Thunder Cake" picture book. It is a wonderful chocolate cake with a hint of fruit flavor from the secret ingredient! It is perfect frosted with Chocolate Buttercream Icing and topped with fresh sliced strawberries! (The strawberries and tomato match wonderfully and I promise that no one will know it is tomato, they will only ask what you did to make it so wonderful!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Grease and flour two 8 1/2 inch cake pans.
- 3Cream together the shortening and sugar.
- 4Beat in the vanilla and egg yolks.
- 5Mix in the cold water and pureed tomatoes.
- 6Beat the egg whites until they are stiff and fold into egg/tomato mixture.
- 7Sift the cake flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- 8Mix dry mixture into wet.
- 9Pour batter evenly into cake pans.
- 10Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- 11Let cakes cool on wire racks before frosting with chocolate buttercream icing.
- 12Optional: Top with fresh strawberries.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Patricia Polacco's Thunder Cake
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 595.3
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 69.7 mg
- Sodium 559.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 44.5 g
- Protein 7.0 g