Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This came from a very old Recipes on Parade cook book...so old that President Nixon was still in office! This recipe was donated by his wife, Pat. (Cook time is chill time and serving size as well as prep time is approximate)
- 1 (3 ounce) package lemon gelatin or 1 (3 ounce) package orange gelatin
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned grapefruit juice
- 1 (16 ounce) jardiced beets, drained,reserve juice
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- salad greens
- 1 tablespoon canned grapefruit juice
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Dissolve gelatin in hot grapefruit juice.
- Add 1/2 cup liquid drained from beets.
- Chill until partially thickened.
- Fold in drained beets and celery.
- Pour into a large salad mold.
- Chill until firm.
- SESAME SEED DRESSING:.
- Gradually blend 1 tablespoon grapefruit juice into 1 package of cream cheese; beating until fluffy.
- Fold in 1/4 cup mayonnaise and 1 tablespoon sesame seeds.
- Unmold salad onto salad greens and top with dressing.