Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Adapted from Pan American's Complete Round the World Cookbook. 2 thinly sliced onions may be substituted for the leeks. The recipe does not mention what to do with the eggs, so I assume they are for garnish.
- 2 ducks, cut up (3-4 pounds each)
- 2 quarts water
- 5 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 leeks, cleaned and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 6 potatoes, peeled
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 3 hardboiled egg, peeled and sliced
- Remove as much fat as possible from the ducks.
- Place ducks in a large saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Add water, carrots, celery, garlic, leeks, bell pepper, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Skim the top.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 45 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook for 30 minutes more, or until duck and potatoes are tender.
- Remove duck and set aside.
- Strain stock, reserving stock and vegetables separately.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Add crumbs and mix well.
- Stir in 2 cups reserved stock.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Place duck pieces on a serving platter.
- Place reserved vegetables on top.
- Pour bread crumb mixture over and around duck.
- Garnish with eggs.