1 hr 40 mins
This dish is a little work but the end result is glorious! The sauce adds an interesting finish. In Spain, this dish is traditionally made with goose, but duck is more readily available here.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 duck breasts
- 2 red onions, finely diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 ripe tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and diced
- 4 green pears, firm
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 ounces blanched almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 ounces brandy
- 1Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan and cook the duck, skin side down first, over medium heat until brown all over. Remove and set aside, reserving 4 tbsp of the cooking fat.
- 2Return 2 tbsp of the fat to the pan. Add the onion, carrot and thyme and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onions are soft.
- 3Add the stock and tomato and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, with the lid slightly askew, until the sauce has thickened and reduced.
- 4Cool slightly, then puree in a food processor until smooth. Return to the pan with the duck and simmer gently over low heat for 30-40 minutes or until the duck is tender.
- 5While the duck is cooking, peel the pears, halve them and core them, leaving the stem intact. Place the pears in a saucepan with the cinnamon and just cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes our until the pears are tender but still firm to the bite. Remove the pears, cover to keep warm and add 1/2 cup of the pear poaching liquid to the tomato sauce.
- 6Remove the duck from the sauce and keep warm.
- 7Grind the almonds, garlic and brandy in a mortar and pestle or small blender to make a smooth paste. Add to the tomato sauce, season to taste and cook for another 10 minutes.
- 8Arrange the duck pieces on a serving platter and pour the sauce over the top. Arrange the warm pears around the duck and serve.
You Might Also Like...View All Duck Breasts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pato Con Peras Catalan
Serving Size: 1 (706 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 891.8
- Calories from Fat 377
- Total Fat 41.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 328.2 mg
- Sodium 308.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 28.8 g
- Protein 65.7 g