1/1 Photo of Pati a La Rapure (Rappe Pie)
A French-Canadian potato casserole-very similar to a hash-brown casserole. Comfort food. Found this on the internet in response to a conversation. I am posting for safe-keeping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large stockpot, place chicken, quartered onions, 1 carrot, celery and salt.
- 2Add water until ingredients are just covered.
- 3Bring to boil.
- 4Reduce heat to simmer and skim off any impurities that rise to the surface.
- 5Simmer 2½ hours or until meat is tender.
- 6When done, remove skin and bones from chicken and cut meat into pieces.
- 7Strain stock, discard vegetables and reserve liquid.
- 8Preheat oven to 400°F
- 9Fry bacon until crisp.
- 10Peel potatoes then grate very fine, or purée in a blender.
- 11Squeeze 1 cup of potatoes at a time through a clean dish towel to remove liquid.
- 12Reserve all liquid.
- 13Place drained potatoes in a large bowl. Measure liquid.
- 14Measure out an equal amount of chicken stock then discard potato liquid.
- 15In a stockpot bring chicken stock to a rolling boil. Gradually stir hot stock into potatoes and mix thoroughly until all lumps are removed. As boiling stock cooks potatoes, they will take on a jelly-like appearance.
- 16Season with salt and pepper.
- 17Stir vigorously.
- 18Cover bottom of a well-greased pan with half of the potato mixture.
- 19Arrange pieces of chicken, diced onions, carrots and pats of butter on top, distributing evenly.
- 20Cover with the other half of potato mixture and another layer of onions, carrots and butter.
- 21Top with strips of bacon to form the crust. Bake 2 hours or until a browned crust forms.
- 22Serve piping hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pati a La Rapure (Rappe Pie)
Serving Size: 1 (535 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.2
- Calories from Fat 288
- Total Fat 32.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 116.8 mg
- Sodium 678.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 29.1 g