Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Glossy and rich--great for special occasion cakes, a little fussy to make but worth it, and can be made well ahead of use.
- 3 ounces chocolate
- 1 well beaten egg
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler.
- Combine the egg, milk, water and sugar and stir into the chocolate.
- Cook the icing over hot water for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove it from the steam.
- Beat it with a rotary beater for 1 minute or until well blended.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Cool the icing before spreading it.
- Tightly covered and stored in the refrigerator it will keep for several days.
Very nice icing which I made with white chocolate rather than dark chocolate. Tastes great. I live in the tropics which is a challenge for any icing - things just don't set. So next time I would omit the water. In a temperate climate [or at least a climate which isn't 30 deg C and 80+% humidity!] this should work well.
This icing was great. Worked very well in my area. It wasn't too sweet or too messy. Excellent recipe.