Recipe by AliciaGski
Very strong pie crust that takes a beating and doesn't require attention to details. Great for fruit filled pastry cookies (folded over or sealed like ravioli). Dough browns nicely. Great to use up "gift" jellies and jams.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 1⁄4 cup flour, for kneading surface
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup ice water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut butter and shortening into the flour.
- Dissolve the sugar in the iced water, then dribble into the flour while mixing.
- Knead it on a floured surface (wax paper doesn't work too well with this dough) until you see no lumps of butter or shortening.
- Divide so you can work with only portions of the dough.
- Refrigerate for two hours, before filling as a pie or cookie.