Recipe by evelyn/athens
A versatile pastry for sweet and savoury pies and tarts.
Top Review by spatchcock
Used this for Evelyn's own Squash, Apple and Onion Tart (#61126). Very easy to make--indeed, I just used my hands, threw it in the fridge and rolled it out. No fuss, not very much muss, and very tasty (the dough is--I haven't actually cooked it since I froze the tart for later cooking.) thanks for another terrific recipe, evelyn!!
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cold,cut into ½ inch bits
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup ice water, approximately
Directions See How It's Made
- Put flour into mixing bowl.
- Add butter and sugar and salt.
- With hands, break butter into flour.
- The bits of flour should remain visible as pea-size bits throughout the flour.
- Add enough water and knead just enough for the ingredients to hold together.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm.