House Foods's Note:
A new take on everyone’s favorite cream puff with a creamy chocolate filling made with tofu. Can't take the credit as it was created by Chef Nori Sugie for a CIA event, which combines flavores of both French and Japanese cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 7/8 ounces whole milk
- 2 7/8 ounces water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 ounces butter
- 3 1/4 ounces all-purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- 1Make the Pastry:.
- 2Sift the flour and set aside.
- 3Combine milk, water, salt, sugar and butter and bring to a boil.
- 4Once boiled, turn the flame off and add the flour and stir.
- 5Turn the heat back on and stir until the dough pulls away from the sides of the pot.
- 6Transfer to a mixer with a paddle attachment and mix on medium speed adding the eggs one at a time.
- 7Pipe out into desired shape and brush with milk or eggwash.
- 8Bake at 350 F for 10 minutes and then lower the temperature to 325 F for 15 to 20 minutes with the vent open to dry the choux out further.
- 9Note: Use milk to adjust the consistency of the batter if it is too thick.
- 10Filling Directions:.
- 11In a blender, puree the tofu (House Food Organic Soft Tofu) and rum together until creamy and set aside.
- 12In a pot, whisk together the brown sugar, instant coffee, vanilla bean puree and coconut milk. Let simmer.
- 13In another bowl, bloom gelatin. Add to simmered ingredients.
- 14Add chocolate chips and mix until melted.
- 15Remove pot from the heat and fold in tofu cream.
- 16Let set and use as needed.
- 18Split the cream puffs horizontally and gently pull out any soft dough from the centers.
- 19Spoon the pastry cream into the puffs. Refrigerate until set, about 10 minutes. Serve.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pate a Choux With Tofu Cream Filling:
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.6
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 121.8 mg
- Sodium 215.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 27.2 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: