Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A new take on everyone’s favorite cream puff with a creamy chocolate filling made with tofu. Can't take the credit as it was created by Chef Nori Sugie for a CIA event, which combines flavores of both French and Japanese cooking.
- 2 7⁄8 ounces whole milk
- 2 7⁄8 ounces water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 ounces butter
- 3 1⁄4 ounces all-purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) package soft tofu
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, Brown
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean (puree)
- 3 gelatin sheets
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Make the Pastry:.
- Sift the flour and set aside.
- Combine milk, water, salt, sugar and butter and bring to a boil.
- Once boiled, turn the flame off and add the flour and stir.
- Turn the heat back on and stir until the dough pulls away from the sides of the pot.
- Transfer to a mixer with a paddle attachment and mix on medium speed adding the eggs one at a time.
- Pipe out into desired shape and brush with milk or eggwash.
- Bake at 350 F for 10 minutes and then lower the temperature to 325 F for 15 to 20 minutes with the vent open to dry the choux out further.
- Note: Use milk to adjust the consistency of the batter if it is too thick.
- Filling Directions:.
- In a blender, puree the tofu (House Food Organic Soft Tofu) and rum together until creamy and set aside.
- In a pot, whisk together the brown sugar, instant coffee, vanilla bean puree and coconut milk. Let simmer.
- In another bowl, bloom gelatin. Add to simmered ingredients.
- Add chocolate chips and mix until melted.
- Remove pot from the heat and fold in tofu cream.
- Let set and use as needed.
- Split the cream puffs horizontally and gently pull out any soft dough from the centers.
- Spoon the pastry cream into the puffs. Refrigerate until set, about 10 minutes. Serve.