Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Potatoes Baked with Tomatoes
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lb tomatoes (fresh or 1 lb canned sliced with their juice)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated or 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 5 basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Brush a large baking dish generously with oil.
- Arrange a layer of onions in the dish, followed by layers of potatoes and tomatoes. Pour on a little of the oil, and sprinkle with the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Repeat until the vegetables are used up, ending with an overlapping layer of potatoes and tomatoes. Tear the basil leaves into pieces, and add them here and there among the vegetables. Sprinkle the top with cheese, and a little oil.
- Pour on the water. Bake for 1 hour, or until tender.
- If the top begins to brown too much cover with foil or a flat baking tray.
- Serve hot.
A simple to make dish, made from ingredients that you probably always have on hand and which complement each other superbly. My only addition was 4 cloves of garlic, chopped. I baked this for about an hour: covered loosely with foil for the first 40 minutes, then uncovered for the last 20 minutes. The top browned beautifully and it tasted as good as it looked. Everyone loved it.